Natural Thinkers is a programme that supports
teachers and practitioners in connecting children with nature, through practical activities that are inspiring and motivating.
Through embedding the principles and aims of the
programme childrens achievement from Early Years to Year 6 has risen and health and wellbeing increased. Central to the Natural Thinkers programme are 10 commmitments. These give a structure for
teachers and practitioners to follow, enabling areas of the curriculum to be accessed.
teachers and practitioners to become confident in using the natural environment.
- We demonstrate how to teach all areas of the
curriculum outdoors and improve
learning outcomes for all.
- We explore the perceived obstacles to
high quality learning outdoors and provide solutions.
- We examine the need for challenge and risk in
children’s play and how it can be assessed.
- We create procedures taking into account the
benefits of risk so that a more balanced approach can be taken.
- We enable parents/carers, practitioners and the
community to take children to the park and green spaces within their local area.
- To connect children to nature through accessible
- To support children to respect and understand their
role in protecting the environment.
- To make food growing a part of children’s lives.
- To promote children’s health and emotional
- To create nurturing environments that encourages
communication and a sense of belonging.
Please note delivery of training courses has been updated since the making of this film.